Darlington Minor Ailments Scheme Summary Information
Outline of Service
This service is available to all patients EXEMPT from prescription charges that are registered with a GP surgery in NHS County Durham & NHS Darlington.
The service is only available for those minor ailment conditions as outlined below
The service is only available from pharmacies with an accredited pharmacist present.
Conditions covered by service
- Pain - Headache/earache
- Temperature/post immunisation pyrexia
- Sore throat
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Head lice
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Athlete’s foot
- Nasal Congestion
- Infant Teething
Role of Participating Community Pharmacists
- Patients will only be accepted into the service if the supervising pharmacist is satisfied the patient is registered with a GP within NHS County Durham or NHS Darlington.
- Staff will assess the patient’s condition. The consultation will consist of:
- Patient assessment
- Provision of advice
- Provision of a medication from the agreed minor ailment formulary appropriate to the patient’s condition if required.
- If, in the opinion of the supervising pharmacist the patient presents with symptoms outside the scheme, they will be referred to their GP surgery.
- If the patient presents with symptoms indicating the need for an urgent consultation with the GP, the rapid referral form will be completed and the patient should be advised to phone the surgery. If this situation is outside normal surgery hours, the patient should be advised to contact the out of hour’s service or to attend A&E as appropriate.
- If a patient presents more than twice within any month with the same symptoms, the supervising pharmacist will make a professional decision as to whether the patient should be referred to their surgery or continue treatment via the Minor Ailment Scheme if appropriate.